Friday, 16 December 2016

How YLP helped me 8:25 PM

Before Ylp I had no confidence to speak to others, public speaking was only in my dreams. Before Ylp I could not even do a presentation in front of my school class. Before YLP my social skills were non-existent.

Greeting fellow ylpers , facilitator, co-facilitators and judges. Today I am here to talk about how ylp has helped me.  

Over the years I wasn’t a very confident at all. In front of a crowd I just couldn’t speak up. I felt nervous with all of the gazes staring at me. Then I would feel the pressure and either forget what I wanted talk or just mumble. Because of this, my teachers felt that I was un-confident and shy.
One of my teachers felt extremely bad. She knew that I wouldn’t participate in class or even talk to her. The teacher got very frustrated and took out all of her anger on my parents during Parent Teacher meeting. these type of not so good feedbacks are common in most of Parent Teacher meetings.

A friend of my dad told him about Ylp. at first I had a tough time adjusting to YLP classes. snacks were only thing I liked.  yes. snacks it is. 

Week after weeks of practice at  YLP, made me realize my SHYNESS is just a feeling - it is a temporary feeling.  this is my first learning. Shyness is just a feeling. a temporary feeling.  

The second important thing which I learned, it is OKAY to accept ATTENTION when my friends or audience gives to me. similar to the attention you are all giving me now. this is my second learning at YLP-  Learn to accept attention

Next big learning is about how YLP gave me small roles and prepared me for bigger roles. Initially, I was given the role of time keeper, took on small projects in a small group and finally chairpersons for those meetings - I understood how valuable these groomings turned out to be. this is my third learning - small roles are important too. 
  
Positive feedbacks and gentle request to correct myself, small but steady appreciations on my improvements - gave me confidence. this is my fourth learning small and steady appreciations go a long way.   

Our first milestone came. Our group did a marketing pitch. The presentation went well. I then truly felt good about myself. My fear of people has reduced.  

We had our next milestone and the next my one. During this time my presentation skills improve. My behaviour improved. My teachers start to feel good about me. Now I am in front of you, giving this speech. thanks to YLP teachers and my fellow ylp classmates. 

No comments: